The sanctuary is in a particularly enchanting position surrounded by nature, and probably dates back to the XVI century (although there is evidence its location being visited by worshipers long before). Inside the Sanctuary, the silence and the cool air create an intimate and suggestive atmosphere. The fresco of the Madonna Assunta looking up to the sky, painted on a slab of granite, probably dates back to the XIII century, when it was part of a niche opposite the fountain, and later became part of the church.
During the repair works in 1995, the 16th century frescos by the Tuscan painter Sodoma were found behind the high altar.
The exedra in front of the outside wall, with the permanent spring of pure water coming directly from Monte Capanne, dates back to 1690, while the hermitage next to the church dates back the XVI century.
San Paolo della Croce stayed here in 1735, and Napoleon used it for a short period in the summer of 1914, not only to get away from the torrid heat of Portoferraio and to use the telegraph station that was located next to the Sanctuary, but also to spend time with his Polish lover Maria Walewska.