Portoferraio

Portoferraio

With more than twelve thousand inhabitants, Portoferraio can be considered the undisputed “capital” of the island. The current city was built in 1548 on the ruins of Fabricia, which was the ancient Roman name for the town. Much of the Portoferraio, Italy...
Villa Romana della Linguella

Villa Romana della Linguella

The Linguella Roman Villa hosts the main scene of the Festival, and can be reached in a few minutes’ walk from the port and the city center of Portoferraio.   There are remains of a Roman villa on the furthermost part of the land where the gulf of...
Giardino della Palazzina dei Mulini

Giardino della Palazzina dei Mulini

One of the Festival’s venues is the garden of the Palazzina dei Mulini, also known as Villa dei Mulini, which was one of Napoleon Bonaparte’s two residences in Portoferraio during his exile on the island of Elba (4 May 1814 – 26 February 1815). The...
Villa San Martino

Villa San Martino

The Villa San Martino, also known as Villa Bonaparte, is one of the two residences that Napoleon Bonaparte inhabited on the Island of Elba between May 1814 and February 1815. Located in San Martino, in the Municipality of Portoferraio, although it is often referred to...
Teatro dei Vigilanti Renato Cioni

Teatro dei Vigilanti Renato Cioni

The Carmelite church was built in the 18th century at the heart of the ancient fortified centre of Portoferraio. In the late Napoleonic age, the architect Paolo Bargigli transformed the deconsecrated church into a theatre, which was opened on January 24th 1815. During...